Saturday, September 02, 1989

Bristol Rovers FC

Bristol Rovers 3 Notts County 2 - Football League, Division Three

Bristol is a city and county in South West England. The town of Brycgstow (Old English, "the place at the bridge") appears to have been founded by 1000 and by c.1020 was an important enough trading centre to possess its own mint, producing silver pennies bearing the town's name. By 1067 the town was clearly a well-fortified burh that proved capable of resisting an invasion force sent from Ireland by Harold's sons. Under Norman rule the town acquired one of the strongest castles in southern England. Bristol is unusual in having been a city with county status since medieval times. The county was expanded to include suburbs such as Clifton in 1835, and it was named a county borough in 1889, when the term was first introduced. However, on 1 April 1974, it became a local government district of the short-lived county of Avon. 

Twerton Park, Bath

The football club was founded in 1883 as Black Arabs FC and also known as Eastville Rovers and Bristol Eastville Rovers before finally changing its name to Bristol Rovers in 1898. The club was admitted to the Football League in 1920 and for the majority of their history Bristol Rovers have played their home games at the Eastville Stadium, where they remained for a period of 89 years from 1897–1986. Financial problems led to the team being forced to leave Eastville, and they found a temporary home at Twerton Park, the home of Bath City, which has a capacity of 8,800 people, with 1,006 seats.

This Pieman travelled from London Paddington to Bath Spa station. After enjoying a few ales it was time to walk to Twerton Park to witness an entertaining encounter between Bristol Rovers and Notts County. Rovers edged the match 3-2. Gary Penrice, who only passed a fitness test an hour before kick-off, scored after 40 seconds and Rovers were 2-0 up on 16 when Devon White headed in a Penrice free-kick. The home side then twice hit the woodwork before Dean Yates headed in a corner to pull it back to 2-1, but Rovers restored the two goal lead before half-time. Tommy Johnson pulled County back into the match early in the 2nd half but they couldn't find an equaliser. After the match it was possible to catch a local service from Oldfield Park station, connecting at Bath Spa for the return journey to London.

Attendance: 4,753
Programme: 80p

No comments: