In 7th century AD, Buckingham, literally "meadow of Bucca's people" is said to have been founded by Bucca, the leader of the first German settlers. The first settlement was located around the top of a loop in the River Great Ouse, presently the Hunter Street campus of the University of Buckingham. Buckingham was declared the county town of Buckinghamshire in the 10th century when it was made the capital of the newly formed shire of Buckingham until Aylesbury took over this role early in the 18th century. The town is centred on the historic market place and contains many 18th century buildings. There are three main roads crossing Buckingham, namely the A413, the A421 (the southern bypass) and the A422. The town's museum which was established in 1993 in the historic town centre Old Gaol building.
Buckingham Town FC was established in 1883 and initially played in local leagues. They won the Aylesbury & District League in 1902–03 and 1936–37 and the North Bucks League in 1924–25, 1928–29, 1933–34, 1935–36, 1936–37, 1938–39, 1948–49 and 1949–50. They were founder members of the Hellenic League in 1953, but left after only four seasons. They then joined the South Midlands League, in which they played until joining the United Counties League in 1974.
The club became Premier Division champions and Knockout Cup winners in 1983–84, and the following season they reached the first round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history, losing 2–0 at home to Orient. In 1985–86 they won the Premier Division again and were promoted to the Midland Division of the Southern League. They won the Southern Division in 1990–91.
This Pieman travelled to Ford Meadow by catching a train from London Euston to Bletchley and then a bus to Buckingham. The return bus went via Milton Keynes railway station, which made it easier to catch the train back to London from there. An emerging Forest Green Rovers outfit won this encounter by two goals to nil.