Tuesday, November 13, 1984

Sutton United FC

Sutton United 3 Tottenham Hotspur 5 - Larry Pritchard Testimonial



Sutton is a large town on the lower slopes of the North Downs in south London, England which has the administrative headquarters of the London Borough of Sutton. It is located 10.9 miles south-southwest of Charing Cross. The town was connected to central London by rail in 1847, spurring significant Victorian-era expansion, both commercially and residentially. An ancient parish in the county of Surrey, Sutton further expanded and increased in population as part of the suburban growth of London in the 20th century. It became a municipal borough with neighbouring Cheam in 1934, and has formed part of Greater London since 1965. The place-name Sutton is recorded in the 1086 Doomsday Book as Sudtone It is formed from Old English 'sūth' and 'tūn', meaning 'the south farm'. It was probably in relation to Mitcham and Morden that it was considered southerly. 



Sutton United Football Club was formed on 5 March 1898 when Sutton Guild Rovers F.C. and Sutton Association F.C. (formerly Sutton St Barnabas F.C.) agreed to merge during a meeting at the Robin Hood Hotel.  They play their home games at the Borough Sports Ground on Gander Green Lane. The ground is situated 100m from West Sutton Station. The more common name for the Borough Sports Ground is Gander Green Lane. The club gained a reputation locally in junior leagues and in 1910 decided to become a senior side. They joined the Southern Suburban League and won it on their first attempt. They progressed into the Athenian League in 1921 and the Isthmian League in 1964 and won the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1979. 



This Pieman made the relatively short journey from Central London after work. The good sized crowd were treated to eight goals as a strong Tottenham Hotspur side overcame Sutton United in this testimonial match for long serving Larry Pritchard.




Attendance: 4,500
Programme: 30p

No comments: