Potters Bar is a town in Hertfordshire, 18 miles north of London. The origin of the Potters element of the town's name is uncertain but is generally thought to be either a reference to a Roman pottery, believed to have been sited locally, or alternatively to the Pottere family who lived in neighbouring South Mimms parish. The Bar is thought to refer to the gates leading from the South Mimms parish and into the Enfield Chase parish, or possibly from some sort of toll on the Great North Road, said to have been by what is now the Green Man pub, or at the current entrance to Morven House. Potters Bar was historically part of Middlesex and formed the Potters Bar Urban District of that county from 1934. From 1894 to 1934 its area had formed the South Mimms Rural District. In 1965 the district was transferred to Hertfordshire while most of the rest of Middlesex became part of Greater London. Potters Bar railway station is the highest on the line between London's Kings Cross railway station and York. The Great Northern route serves various North London suburbs to the south before terminating at either King's Cross or Moorgate station.
In 1960, Ken Barrett, who was a PE Master at Mount Grace School at the time, formed a football club for former scholars. They were known as Mount Grace Old Scholars and played in Division One of the Barnet & District League in their first season, 1960–61. In May 1965 the Barnet & District League and the Finchley & District League merged to form the North London Combination, in which the club then played, winning the Premier Division championship in 1967–68. The club joined Division Two of the Hertfordshire County League the following season and won the championship and promotion to Division One at the first attempt. They won the Division One championship and promotion to the Premier Division in the 1973–74 season. In the 1978–79 season they finished bottom and were relegated back to Division One. Following two third place finishes, the club won the Division One championship and renewed promotion to the Premier Division in the 1981–82 season. The club spent the rest of the 1980s in this division. In the 1990–91 season, the club reached the third round of the FA Vase, and won the Hertfordshire Senior County League, as it was by then called, Premier Division championship and the Aubrey Cup. The change of name to Potters Bar Town coincided with joining the South Midlands League Premier Division.
This Pieman travelled to Potters Bar by train from London. The walk from the railway station to the Parkfield Centre took around ten minutes. In a closely contested South Midlands League clash, the home side defeated Letchworth Garden City by the only goal.
Subsequent visits to the Parkfield Centre
2 January 2012 - Potters Bar Town 2 Harlow Town 0 - Isthmian League, Division One North - Attendance: 120
16 April 2014 - Hadley 1 St Margaretsbury 1 - Spartan South Midlands League, Prem Division - Attendance: 35